Sunday, August 1, 2010

Buttercream Fail :-(

Fridays are test days. This past Friday I had to make a plain genoise cake with Swiss butter cream frosting. This is what my finished product looked like. It was my chef instructor's birthday...

I didn't do as well as I should have because my Swiss butter cream seized on me.




So I didn't get a very good grade on my practical...my chef's words were, "Honestly, Mary, I expected better from you." Ouch.






I know I could have done better. You see, I could have just redone the stupid buttercream, which is 4 ingredients and not terribly difficult. I could have simply heated the bowl with a torch whilst whipping until it was the right consistency again. But I didn't...not because I was being lazy, but because I didn't care. That reflected in my work.
I should care, it's my grade for goodness sake, but I've been kind of down the past few days. This definitely snapped me out of it. I had been lamenting my life lately, things I should have done, things I didn't do...things I wish I had.
What I should have been doing it make a better freaking butter cream! ARG!
So lesson learned, when life gets you down and your butter cream seizes...just freaking do it over woman!

No comments:

Post a Comment